[sca-comments] Proposal for a New Patent Order

Uberto Renaldi ubertorenaldi at protonmail.com
Sat May 8 18:22:36 CDT 2021

To the SCA Board of Directors, greetings!

Re: the proposal for a new patent order.

I wish to respectfully submit my opposition to this proposal. While I have no doubt there are participants who have contributed greatly to the society in ways that do not fit neatly into any of the existing four peerage orders, I believe that creating another order is not a desirable way of recognising and rewarding these people.

One reason for this is historical accuracy. The SCA's mission statement states that the society is "devoted to the research and re-creation of pre-17th century ... culture". The SCA's awards system already deviates significantly from anything in our period, and creating yet more 'knightly orders', membership of which elevates one to the peerage, is a move further away from authentic practice.

Secondly, it seems to be a solution that avoids addressing the actual problem, which is that there are a number of activities pursued with the society that do not neatly fit into any of the boxes of heavy combat, fencing, arts & sciences or service. Creating a new peerage order to include 'none of the above' seems like the lazy way out, rather than the more difficult (but ultimately more productive) task of re-considering what peerage in our society means and the best ways of recognising it.

Thank you for considering my response.

Yours in service,

Uberto Renaldi
mka Nigel Castle, SCA Ltd (Australia) member 88046