[sca-comments] Fwd: Vaccine mandate policy comments

Jim Lai jimcyl at gmail.com
Sun May 2 11:14:35 CDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jim Lai <jimcyl at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, May 2, 2021 at 10:52 AM
Subject: Vaccine mandate policy comments
To: <comments at sca.org>, <comments at lists.sca.org>

I wanted to follow up on the announcement that prohibits kingdoms, regions,
and local groups from mandating that event attendees be vaccinated against
COVID-19 unless required by applicable law
<https://www.sca.org/news/memorandum-statement-regarding-proof-of-vaccinations-negative-covid-tests-and-temperature-checks-of-attendees-at-society-events/>
:

The Board, President, and Society Seneschal are agreed that Kingdoms, and
all groups below Kingdom status, shall only be permitted to request proof
of vaccination, a negative COVID test, or temperature checks where required
by federal, provincial, state, or local laws. No variances will be granted
that do not comply with this interpretation.

This, frankly, is going to get people killed.

Similar fandom-related organizations have chosen to follow federal
agency guidelines stating that a vaccine mandate does not violate the
Americans with Disabilities Act for places of public accommodation or
constitute employment discrimination under the Civil Rigts Act of 1974.
Here are some examples: