[sca-comments] Please Cancel Pennsic War

Paul Friebus petergrau at midrealm.org
Sat Mar 20 14:15:06 CDT 2021

Sir Gregory and esteemed Directors, I hope this message finds you well.

I deeply appreciate the care and pressure you all are under in this
extraordinarily difficult situation. Thank you for your devotion and
diligence.

I am writing from isolation within a quarantined home, ill with COVID-19
and deeply missing my partner and our children. I realize that the plural
of anecdote is not data, but I believe my experience is relevant to the
Society's choice to hold or cancel Pennsic this year.

My family have spent this last year cut off from nearly everyone we know
and love. When we must go out, we mask and scrub per the CDC's
recommendations. I was registered for my vaccination within hours of my age
group becoming eligible.

The day before my first injection was scheduled, my symptoms began.

My point is: even with care and in the best of circumstances, anyone can
still contract COVID-19. The comments and behaviors people across the
Society post proudly to social media make it very clear that we will not be
in the best circumstances, and many of us are proudly un-careful in their
approach to their own safety and that of those around them.

I understand the passion we have for Pennsic. I am a former rapier general
from the Midrealm, and my place as a Premier of the Order of Defense is
tightly bound to my work in that role. The body of work on which my
elevation to the Order of the Pelican rests is also deeply enmeshed in the
process and logistics of helping people be ready for wars and other major
events. I would give much to not be arguing for yet another cancellation,
and to be joyously planning my own return Home. My conscience rejects this
idea absolutely and with prejudice, and it breaks my heart.

All of this is to say: please cancel Pennsic for 2021. Another summer's
memories are a sad loss, but there is no balancing that against even one
life destroyed. There will be more summers, and more Wars. Please help
protect my friends and loved ones whose emotional investment is
overwhelming their ability to assess a long-term risk.

Thank you, again, for all your work and care. I hope my words make your own
choices easier.

Be well, and stay safe.

In Service to the Dream,

Baron Peter Grau von Bremen, OD, OP