[sca-comments] Fwd: SCA Governing Handbook - Language review

Engelin Lochac engelin.lochac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:06:34 CST 2021

Greetings to the Board of Directors and Officers,

I’ve spent a lot of time in Corpora over the last year and noticed a couple
of clauses that would be good to get updated to be in line with the gender
equality position for the Crown and Coronet and also update gendered
language to be more inclusive.

Firstly, it looks as though some sections were overlooked when the changes
for equality in the Crown and Coronet lists were made.

Some sections I’ve found include:

-          In the Introduction, Page 6

o   “Each Kingdom has a King and Queen selected by tournament”

-          In III.C Branch Designations, Page 15

o   “1.a. Kingdom: area ruled by a King and Queen”

o   “1.b. Principality: area within a kingdom ruled by a Prince and
Princess “

o   “1.c. Barony: area administered by a Baron and/or Baroness”

o   “4. Kingdom: A kingdom is a sovereign entity within the Society which
has the right to select a ruling King and Queen by armored combat”

o   “5. Principality: A principality is a part of a kingdom which has the
right to select a reigning Prince and Princess by armored combat.”

Secondly, there are a number of instances of “his or her” and “he or she”
used throughout the document which I believe would be better written as
“their” or “they” to be all inclusive, and also conveniently simpler
language. I have no doubt that Baroness Zahra Tesfaye as DEI Officer will
have a better understanding of the best language to use in these instances.

I have also found that section E.1. Probationary Period (Page 46)
references only “his”.

There are likely other clauses I have missed, but it would be great if you
would consider reviewing the whole document to update the language to be in
line with current practices, policy and inclusive language.

Thank you!

Regards,

Duchess Engelin Teufel
Lochac
(Penny Wright - Australian member 83124)