[sca-comments] For newsletter/publications: New book on sourdough history: SOURDOUGH CULTURE

Jacqueline Jarik jarik at agatepublishing.com
Thu Jul 8 14:37:16 CDT 2021

Hi there,

I hope this message finds you well! I wanted to reach out because I thought you and members of the SCA might be interested in hearing about our forthcoming book Sourdough Culture: A History of Bread Making from Ancient to Modern Bakers, which is due out this fall (September 14), by Eric Pallant.

In Sourdough Culture, Pallant explores the global history and science of sourdough bread baking from its discovery over six thousand years ago to its status as a global phenomenon today. He takes a look at sourdough bread across continents, from its origins in the Middle East’s Fertile Crescent to its modern-day displacement by the innovation of dough-mixing machines and fast-acting yeast. Along the way, Eric also explores how sourdough bread fed some of history’s most significant figures from Plato to Marie Antoinette, as well as the lesser-known—but equally important—individuals who relied on sourdough bread for sustenance from Roman bakers to Gold Rush miners and so many others in between and since.

It’s a really readable deep-dive on sourdough, and since Eric explores the way sourdough bread was made throughout history, we thought SCA members might be interested in learning more about it. I’d love to send you a galley if it’s of interest, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Jacqueline

Our staff is working remotely until further notice. If you need to get in touch with me, email remains the fastest way to reach me. If you need to reach me by phone, please contact me for my secure line.

Jacqueline Jarik
Publicity Manager
Agate Publishing, Inc.
1328 Greenleaf Street
Evanston, IL 60202
847.475.4457 ext. 4#
www.agatepublishing.com <http://www.agatepublishing.com/>

Follow us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/AgatePublishing> and Twitter <http://twitter.com/AgatePublishing>

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute proprietary or inside information. Unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message, including all attachments, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy this message and all copies thereof, including all attachments.