[sca-comments] Ineligible martial activities

James Prescott prescotj at jpnet.ca
Mon Oct 5 14:00:04 CDT 2020

Greetings all,

I am aware that "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" is intended to
address discrimination in more obvious areas such as race, gender
identity, and so on.

I would like to make the case that the martial activities that are
currently ineligible for peerage recognition within the SCA are
currently, in a similar way, subject to exclusion, inequity, and lack of
diversity.

Archery and thrown weapons (target and combat), equestrian activities
including equestrian archery, siege weapons, and other activities that
fall under the Society Marshal, but which are neither rattan nor rapier,
are SCA activities that have in the past been both actively and
passively excluded from possible peerage recognition.

They need to be included.  There are several possible routes.  Any route
that fixes this is better than nothing.

I happen to think that one single new peerage that covers all of these
activities is the best solution.

Arguments about lack of numbers are spurious.  The Laurels will accept
any Arts and Sciences activity as potentially peerage, even if only one
person in the SCA does that activity, and even if that person is still
years away from doing it at a peerage level.

I am hoping for a Board of Directors decision in the near future that
repairs this situation that has been shoved onto the back burner for too
many *decades*.  Literally.

In Service to the Dream,
Thorvald Grimsson
OP, OL, OGGS, Court Baron, Red Gryphon of Avacal, Yeoman, etc.