[sca-comments] Commentary: COVID-19 pandemic and Gulf Wars

Jeri Sisco jerisisco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:20:01 CDT 2020

Members of the SCA Board of Directors:

This morning I looked at the An Tir Kingdom Events calendar and cried.

Discussions about the intersection between public health and SCA events
and activities have been percolating around An Tir since the COVID-19
pandemic started getting press. It's been a rollercoaster.

Last week's decision to cancel all King County SCA activities and
events, and this Monday's kingdom-wide Crown decision along the same
lines, were not arrived at lightly. Those of us who have had a part in
these discussions realize this suspension of activity hurts many areas
of the Kingdom, but our obligation to the health and welfare of our
populace is important enough to ask our brothers and sisters to manage
and mitigate the impact of a temporary interruption.

I could explain and link to reliable sources about flattening the case
curve to meter the impact on our health care capacity, about Typhoid
Mary and why you don't want strangers from Seattle at your event, and
about our duty to the most fragile of our citizens. Those who have a
"Don't panic, this is mostly hype" perspective have already made up
their minds, and my small voice doesn't make a difference.

I will say, that as an administrative servant of the SCA community,
currently Kingdom Events officer, my focus has been creating a positive
culture around event management, and providing the tools and support for
event teams to succeed at and enjoy their jobs. Seeing the complete
shutdown of all events for the rest of the month, the fruit of so many
people's labor, is heartbreaking.

IT IS WORTH IT. It is the right decision.

Some chivalry oaths include the words, "To ever be a good knight and
true, reverent and generous, shield of the weak..." In this, we are
living that ideal; we are shielding the weak, acting truly with
integrity and honor.

Given the values we all hold dear, why is the SCA continuing with Gulf
Wars in the face of a worldwide pandemic? Do we really want to obligate
volunteers representing the SCA to bravely face this new virus, and the
serious probability that such an event will be an escalation point for
viral contagion?

Please make the chivalrous and honorable decision to put lives of our
populace before corporate risk management and site cancellation fees.

In service to the dream,

Meisterin Gera Gangolffin, OP
mka Jeri Sisco
Kingdom Events Officer, An Tir
Event Steward, Emprise of the Black Lion
Contingency Seneschal, Barony of Madrone
Apprentice to Countess Aryana Silknfyre