[sca-comments] Please extend shutdown of activities ASAP

Seneschal of Madrone Madrone.Seneschal at antir.org
Thu Dec 3 14:06:52 CST 2020

Greetings from Eden Rain, seneschal for the Barony of Madrone/Greater Seattle region.

I am writing because the current shutdown of SCA activities through Jan 31st is set to expire soon, and I believe it would be in the best interests of the Society and its members for you to extend that shut down through at least March, and preferably April, given that the pandemic is currently on the upswing and that it is unlikely we will have widespread distribution of the hoped for vaccines before Spring.

>From the perspective of planning & managing events & activities, we need to know NOW that we cannot plan for events on February 1st, (or say Gulf Wars on March 13-15!) in order to cancel any relevant contracts, and to avoid wasting the volunteer hours of our members on events that won't be able to safely happen.  More importantly, because not all regional governments (nor all SCA members) are handling this crisis responsibly, if the BoD does not mandate cancellation, then some groups WILL hold gatherings regardless of the danger, and then the SCA will be responsible for the potential spread of this deadly disease among our members & out into the populations beyond them.

The Board needs to lead the way in protecting our members. I urge you to make an extension of this shutdown for the good of all, and to announce it soon so that we can all plan accordingly.

In hopes of seeing an updated statement from the Board in the very near future,

Eden Rain,  Seneschal for the Barony of Madrone, An Tir
Madrone.Seneschal at antir.org