[LoAR-txt] 2017-05 LoAR in Da'ud plaintext format

Postmeeting Clerk via LoAR-TXT loar-txt at lists.sca.org
Sat Jul 8 13:36:25 CDT 2017

Please find attached the files for the May 2017 LoAR in Da'ud plaintext
format.

--
Emma de Fetherstan, acting as Postmeeting Clerk
-------------- next part --------------

                                                     601 S Washington #137
                                                      Stillwater, OK 74074
                                                           +1 405 428 3662
                                                   laurel at heraldry.sca.org
                                For the May 2017 meetings, printed July 8, 2017

To all the College of Arms and all others who may read this missive, from Emma
Laurel, Alys Pelican, Bruni outgoing-Wreath, and Cormac incoming-Wreath,
greetings.

**** From Laurel and Postmeeting Clerk: Cover Letter Format ****

After some feedback at KWHSS, we are experimenting with reordering the items on
the Cover Letter. Specifically, we are moving the scheduling information to the
end of the letter, so it doesn't block the actually interesting bits. Also, the
scheduling info will be limited to the current month and the two following
months.

**** From Laurel: KWHSS News ****

Over the weekend of June 23-25, 2017, the Barony of Thor's Mountain and the
Shire of Nant y Derwyddon hosted this year's Known World Heraldic and Scribal
Symposium. It was well attended and well run, with plenty of excellent classes.
We wish to thank the staff of the event for a grand time!

The 2018 KWHSS will be held on June 8-10, 2018, in the Shire of Sunderoak with
the Barony-Marche of the Debateable Lands in the Kingdom of {AE}thelmearc
(Greater Pittsburgh area).

**** From Wreath(s): Last month of split decisions ****

This month, for the last time for this transition, the decisions were split
between Cormac M{o'}r and Brunissende Dragonette. Starting in June, Cormac will
make all decisions. The decisions were split as follows:

Brunissende made the armory decisions for the kingdoms of An Tir and Lochac.
Cormac made the armory decisions for everything else.

**** From Outgoing Wreath: Merci! Thank you! ****

_"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a
rather large amount of Gratitude" (A.A. Milne)_

As this letter sees my last decisions I wanted to take this opportunity to
thank Andrewe Bawldwyn for initially trusting me and Emma de Fetherstan for
renewing this trust as Laurel regent. I also want to thank all the people who
have helped me during my tenure.

Many who read these letters do not realize that behind the Sovereigns there are
many other people who make our job possible. They are awesome!

We could hardly make decisions without commenters. So I want to thank all those
who spend the time to check for conflicts or other issues, month after month
after month. I know that it is endless ungrateful work, but it is oh so
necessary.

I want to thank Tanczos Istvan and Emma de Fetherstan as my go to people to
bounce ideas and get a heraldic sanity check. Also many thanks to the people
who in those years have attended my meetings.

I want to thank Saint Emma de Fetherstan and Reis ap Tuder, for their work as
postmeeting clerks, and the proofreaders. These are the people who make the
LoARs possible.

There is a quote attributed to the Buddha that somewhat applies here: _"Let us
rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we
learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick,
and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." _ I am
glad that not only I did survive these years as Wreath but I did learn a lot.
So I have a lot to be thankful.

Tag Cormac. You're it!

**** From Laurel: Thank you, Bruni! ****

The College of Arms has a rank of Herald Extraordinary that has a long and
honored history. The rank was formally created and defined in the July 1981
cover letter by Wilhelm Laurel. The intent of the rank is to recognize and
reward "... those heralds who have greatly served the College of Heralds and/or
the College of Arms and have achieved the highest level of competence in
heraldry."

Brunissende Dragonette has offered considerable effort and service throughout
her tenure as Wreath Queen of Arms. I therefore confer upon her the rank and
style of Herald Extraordinary, and charge her to register a title of her
choosing with the College of Arms.

We are all no doubt grateful for Bruni's service, but perhaps none so much as
me, who was quite happy she succeeded me as Wreath. Enjoy your retirement,
Bruni, but not too much!

**** Society Pages ****

On June 3, 2017, Rowen Cloteworthy, Red Lozenge Herald, and Jamila of Bhakail
(known as Jamilia al-Suba al-Hadid min Bhakail), Troubadour Herald, were
invested as the Baron and Baroness of Bhakail in the East Kingdom.

On June 17, 2017, at Ansteorra's Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, Their
Majesties Gabriel and Sonja awarded the Sable Thistle of Ansteorra to Modius
von Mergentheim for court heraldry, to Ivo Blackhawk for vocal heraldry, and to
Gunnvor silfrah{a'}rr for heraldic research. The Sable Thistle is Ansteorra's
AoA level award for arts and sciences.

Also at AHSS, Eirik Halfdanarson, Star Principal Herald, named Gunnvor a Herald
Extraordinary and charged her to register a personal heraldic title.

And finally at AHSS, Their Majesties Gabriel and Sonja made Eirik Star a Baron
of their Court.

On June 24, 2017, at the Known World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, Flannait
inghean u{i'} hEighnigh, Beacon Principal Herald of Meridies, advanced Wu Yun,
former Ragged Staff, to the rank of Herald Extraordinary, charging her to
register a personal heraldic title.

Please send information about happenings to major heralds and major happenings
to all heralds to Laurel, so that it can be published here.

**** Send What to Whom ****

Letters of Intent, Comment, Response, Correction, et cetera are to be posted to
the OSCAR online system. No paper copies need be sent. All submission forms
plus documentation, including petitions, must be posted to the OSCAR online
system. While black-and-white emblazons must be included in the Letter of
Intent, only colored armory forms need to be posted in the forms area.

Cheques or money orders for submissions, payable to "SCA Inc.-College of Arms"
are to be sent to Stephanie Ray-Solum, Blue Bug Bookkeeping, 2144 Westlake Ave.
North Suite F, Seattle, WA 98109.

Send roster changes and corrections to Laurel. College of Arms members may also
request a copy of the current roster from Laurel.

For a paper copy of a LoAR, please contact Laurel, at the address above. The
cost for one LoAR is $3. Please make all checks or money orders payable to "SCA
Inc.-College of Arms". The electronic copy of the LoAR is available free of
charge. To subscribe to the mailings of the electronic copy, please see the
bottom of http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/lists.html#lists for more
instructions.

For all administrative matters, please contact Laurel.

**** Scheduling ****

Items listed below in square brackets have not been scheduled yet. For
information about future scheduling, please review the status table located on
the Web at http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=137.

The May Laurel decisions were made at the Pelican meeting held on Sunday, May
21, 2017 and the Wreath meetings held on Sunday, May 14, 2017 and Sunday, May
21, 2017. These meetings considered the following letters of intent: Middle (30
Jan, 2017) (pushed due to lack of packet), Gleann Abhann (01 Feb, 2017),
Outlands (23 Feb, 2017), Ealdormere (25 Feb, 2017), {AE}thelmearc (27 Feb,
2017), Artemisia (27 Feb, 2017), An Tir (28 Feb, 2017), Atlantia (28 Feb,
2017), Avacal (28 Feb, 2017), Calontir (28 Feb, 2017), Drachenwald (28 Feb,
2017), East (28 Feb, 2017), Gleann Abhann (28 Feb, 2017), Lochac (28 Feb,
2017), Meridies (28 Feb, 2017), and Northshield (28 Feb, 2017). * All
commentary, responses, and rebuttals should have been entered into OSCAR by
Sunday, April 30, 2017.*

The June Laurel decisions were made at the Pelican meeting held on Sunday, June
18, 2017, the Wreath meeting held on Sunday, June 18, 2017, and the Roadshow
meeting at KWHSS on Sunday, June 25, 2017. These meetings considered the
following letters of intent: Laurel LoPaD (11 Mar, 2017), Palimpsest Rules
Letter (12 Mar, 2017), {AE}thelmearc (13 Mar, 2017), Caid (20 Mar, 2017),
Atenveldt (25 Mar, 2017), Artemisia (27 Mar, 2017), Ealdormere (27 Mar, 2017),
Lochac (28 Mar, 2017), Atlantia (29 Mar, 2017), Laurel LoPaD (29 Mar, 2017), An
Tir (31 Mar, 2017), Ansteorra (31 Mar, 2017), Avacal (31 Mar, 2017), Calontir
(31 Mar, 2017), Drachenwald (31 Mar, 2017), East (31 Mar, 2017), Meridies (31
Mar, 2017), Middle (31 Mar, 2017), Northshield (31 Mar, 2017), Outlands (31
Mar, 2017), and Trimaris (31 Mar, 2017). * All commentary, responses, and
rebuttals should have been entered into OSCAR by Wednesday, May 31, 2017.*

The July Laurel decisions will be made at the Pelican meeting held on Sunday,
July 9, 2017 and the Wreath meeting held on Sunday, July 16, 2017. These
meetings will consider the following letters of intent: West (03 Apr, 2017),
{AE}thelmearc (17 Apr, 2017), Caid (19 Apr, 2017), Laurel LoPaD (23 Apr, 2017),
West (24 Apr, 2017), Ealdormere (25 Apr, 2017), Artemisia (26 Apr, 2017),
Atenveldt (26 Apr, 2017), Lochac (26 Apr, 2017), An Tir (30 Apr, 2017),
Artemisia (30 Apr, 2017), Atenveldt (30 Apr, 2017), Atlantia (30 Apr, 2017),
Caid (30 Apr, 2017), Calontir (30 Apr, 2017), Drachenwald (30 Apr, 2017), East
(30 Apr, 2017), Meridies (30 Apr, 2017), Middle (30 Apr, 2017), Northshield (30
Apr, 2017), Outlands (30 Apr, 2017), and Trimaris (30 Apr, 2017). * All
commentary, responses, and rebuttals should have been entered into OSCAR by
Friday, June 30, 2017.*

_Not all letters of intent may be considered when they are originally scheduled
on this cover letter. The date of posting of the LoI, date of receipt of the
Laurel packet, or other factors may delay consideration of certain letters of
intent. Additionally, some letters of intent received may not have been
scheduled because the administrative requirements (receipt of the forms packet,
receipt of the necessary fees, et cetera) have not yet been met._

REMINDER: Until all administrative requirements are met, the letter may not be
scheduled.

Pray know that I remain,

In service,

Emma de Fetherstan